Advanced Biological Laboratories (ABL) S.A., is a medical data technology company founded in 2000 as a spin-off from CRP-Santé (now the Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH)). ABL took control of TherapyEdge, Inc. in 2004 and in 2013 acquired the rights to all viral hepatitis B & C related assets from EVIVAR MEDICAL. ABL has a comprehensive suite of healthcare management tools, including TherapyEdge®, ViroScore®, SeqHepB, DeepChek®, VisibleChek®, HepatiC™ and OncoChek™, which are used for data and patient management, monitoring and personalised reporting applications. In 2012, some of ABL’s products received CE-marking for IVD use. ABL’s products offer infectious disease clinicians and virology laboratories optimal and efficient IT solutions, for sequencing, clinical genotyping and drug resistance analysis, including powerful fully integrated databases and analysis systems combining standard and high-throughput next generation sequencing data.
Products & Services
ABL develops and implements several products and services around its web-based and local TherapyEdge® Box System to deliver the best therapies for people living with complex, chronic diseases:
- TherapyEdge® is an electronic medical record (EMR) system with dedicated HIV content with decision support, monitoring and reporting system with builtin decision support (TherapyEval) and various modules (RapidCapture, Down- Referral, Peads, HealthScan, eRegister);
- HepatiC is a viral hepatitis C patient registry and database to monitor and screen HCV infected patients;
- ViroScore® Suite is an HIV drug resistance interpretation system and sequence storage database with built-in analysis and reporting tools;
- SeqHepB is an online decision support system for HBV drug resistance information acquired from Evivar Medical (co-developed with Melbourne Health University, Australia) with the largest HBV drug resistance knowledge database;
- DeepChek®-HIV is the first CE-IVD marked medical device for next generation sequencing data management (Roche 454, Illumina MiSeq/HiSeq, Ion Torrent PGM, SmartR PacBio, etc.). DeepChek® modules for HBV and HCV are also available for NGS;
- ABL has launched its first bioinformatics pipeline for oncology, OncoChek™, and is working on new virology and bacteriology applications;
- ABL has the ability to work on full genome data analysis;
- VisibleChek™ is the first-application for data visualization and data mining able to merge clinical, virological and advanced molecular (Sanger/NGS) information.
Major health sciences and technologies projects
Since 2000, ABL has leveraged a large experience in virology (HIV and viral hepatitis) for patient management either from clinical, virological and molecular sides. ABL has acquired the assets of TherapyEdge® Inc. for HIV and Evivar Medical Pty for HBV. These assets are patents, software and knowledge databases. ABL continue investing resources in infectious diseases to support its product portfolio.
ABL recently inked an agreement with LIH for getting the exclusive commercial rights on COMET technology.
ABL is also engaging strong collaborations in the fields of microbiology and human genetics for developing new applications in tuberculosis and oncology.
ABL continues its efforts to bring the latest technologies for server virtualisation, web development with strong capacities of data security and data encryption, bioinformatics scripts and methods for fast and reliable data management and analysis of next generation sequencing information.
Technical / technological capabilities
ABL is able to develop secure network (intranet, internet, VPN) platforms for the electronic management of clinical information between distributed units. ABL’s technology is a ready-to-run solution for all the technical problems that users face. The developed platforms are based on state-of-the-art technologies. ABL offers a service adapted to each clinical setting and can implement electronic case report forms. The company can combine the secure collection of data with real time analysis systems.
ABL is also able to develop specifically:
- algorithm-based genotype interpretation systems;
- tools for the management of sequences; and
- advanced genetic analysis tools to integrate complex clinical and virological information.
Technical means / equipment
ABL products lie on a proprietary platform server (hardware, virtual or internet-based). End-users access the various pieces of software using web-browser. It could be used by clinicians, pathology laboratories, private insurance companies, diagnostics and pharmaceutical companies.
ABL’s platform is fully integrated with patient management systems (PMS or HER), pharmacy information system (PIS), laboratory information system (LIS) using its integration engine with standard data exchange protocols (HL7, XML). It could be integrated to any type of network to implement new electronic case report forms, engage specific data collection on investigating sites, generate printout of case report forms in paper format (PDF), display graphics for patients, automated data extraction, database query, push technologies (alerts, SMS…).
Main customers / collaborations
- Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH);
- Latin American Liver Research Awareness and Educational Network (LALREAN) for HCV;
- AEEH, Spanish Association of Hepatologists for HCV;
- Spanish HIV Foundation (Badalona, Barcelona) for HIV & NGS;
- South Africa National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS);
- European Society for Antiviral Resistance;
- TINN2 (FP7 EU Project);
- Roche Diagnostics International and other major Pharma and Dx companies;
- Tute Genomics (Oncology, human genetics).
Dr Chalom B. SAYADA, MD, PhD
CE marking for TherapyEdge and In-Vitro Diagnostic use for ViroScore and DeepChek. Final- Five participant of the 2013 Innovation Prize (Universal Biotech) for DeepChek.
Greater Region, Europe, Africa, Oceania