Understanding the behaviour of matter using computational simulation methods including but not limited to; metals, polymers, composites, biomaterials, printed structures generated through additive manufacturing, cementitious materials, electronic textiles and non-linear viscous fluids.
Understanding fracture and damage mechanisms in advanced materials.
- Materials in severe environmental conditions, e.g. aerospace and marine.
- Damage tolerance of complex structures.
Multiscale simulation: coupling through the scales from molecular dynamics to the continuum.
- Design and optimisation at the microscale given macroscale objectives.
- Microscale simulation of advanced fabric designs.
- Error estimation and adaptivity for multiscale problems.
Simulating cutting in real-time for surgical simulation.
- Understanding cutting mechanisms in soft tissues.
- Contribute to surgical training and assistance.
Simplifying CAD to Analysis transition.
- Predict the life of structures without meshing or remeshing.
- Decrease the human effort involved in generating simulation results.
Reduced order models.
- Simplifying complex systems for real-time simulation, fast engineering feedback and parametric studies.
- Quantifying how uncertainty can affect behaviour of complex engineering systems.
- Identifying uncertain parameters in non-linear physical systems from experimental results.
Major material / Production technologies projects
- Soitec SA: for simulation of the SmartCutTM process
- Rolls-Royce, Bosch and inuTech: Simulation with XFEM
- Bosch: PhD studentship on SnAgCu solder durability prediction
- XFEM modelling of multistage hydraulic fracturing
- Stochastic optimization of fiber-reinforced composites
- Solution of partial differential equations.
- Continuum mechanics and modelling.
- Numerical discretisation; finite element methods, isogeometric analysis, meshfree methods, particle methods.
- High performance computing; specialisation in large scale linear algebra and preconditioning.
- Reduced order modelling; quasicontinuum methods, projection methods, reduced basis methods.
- Continuous and discrete optimisation.
- Numerical analysis and error estimation.
- Computational geometry.
- Bayesian uncertainty quantification.
- Bosch GmbH
- Inu-Tech GmbH
- Rolls Royce S.A.
- Soitec S.A.
Head of faculty
Public Research Organisation